Thursday, October 9, 2008

Balsamic Eggplant "Pizza" with Ham and Ricotta



I adapted this from my new favorite cookbook, Rachel Ray's Just In Time. (I know, I know! Rachel Ray? I've never seen her show but I love her cookbooks!) I've made the recipe quicker than her 60 minute recipe which I, frankly, have to take some pride in.

I actually ended up with 7 little pizzas ... but as I was moving them to the plate, I dropped the tray on the ground. Whoops! Maverick, my pug, seemed to enjoy them too! :)

Balsamic Eggplant "Pizza" with Ham and Ricotta

1 small Eggplant
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 tbsp Parsley Flakes
Prosciutto Slices - 1 for each slice of eggplant, ~ 6-8
Tomato Sauce
Log of Mozzarella Cheese - enough for 1 slice for each eggplant

Serves 2

Preheat the oven to 375.

Oil a large skillet and put over high heat. Take a small, lengthwise slice on the eggplant so that it sits nicely on your cutting board. Then cut the eggplant into 1/2 in slices (I got 7 out of mine - 2 of which were very small). Put the eggplant in the skillet. Once the first side has finished cooking (use your spatula to check if it's soft), flip the eggplant slices and then splash each one with Balsamic Vinegar.

While the eggplant is cooking, combine the Ricotta, Parmesan, and Parsley flakes in bowl. Slice the Mozzarella - 1 slice per eggplant.

When the eggplant has finished cooking, place each slice onto a baking sheet. Top each slice with a heaping spoon full (or two depending on the size of the slice) of the Ricotta mixture then with a slice of prosciutto. Add a spoonful or so of Tomato Sauce to each slice and top with a slice of Mozzarella.

Place the baking sheet in the oven until the Mozzarella begins to melt.

No comments: