Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Making Mother's Day a little greener ...

I'm not really one for Hallmark holidays but I'm feeling a lot of family love lately. We've all been going through a bit of a hard time and since I gave Dad a big birthday surprise, I thought I'd send Mom some love too.

Since I've become totally addicted to TreeHugger, I decided to check there for some interesting and earth friendly ideas. The most obviously, of course, is organic flowers but at $50+ a pop plus shipping they were a bit out of my price range. Fortunately, TreeHugger had both a Mother's Day Gift Guide as well as some other posts on the topic.

My first idea was to go with Equal Exchange Chocolate bars for my chocolate loving mother. I think she would have *loved* them but all the good gift baskets were unavailable until October and I wasn't about to spend $50 on a case of chocolate bars.

Finally, I settled on a Heirloom Tomato plant for my mom and my aunt. My mom grows conventional tomatoes in her garden so it's not too out of her league crazy and it'll introduce her to the super yummy-ness of heirloom tomatoes. And at $20 what could be better!

I'll let you know how it goes over ...

No comments: