Saturday, May 10, 2008

Hello Greens! + Burdock Leaves = Gross & Veg-tastic Chili

After a (sorta) local winter filled with squash, beets, and cabbage, I was thrilled to see greens at the farmers market today!! Greens!! Hooray!



From top left, clockwise: Baby Salad Mix, Ground Angus, Chives, Cilantro, Burdock leaves, Portobello mushrooms, Oyster mushrooms, Ramps, Eggs


I've been seeing Ramps on some food blogs I read lately so I was excited to see them. I'm even more excited to try this Ramps-Arugula-Bacon-Goat Cheese Pizza. I'll let you know how it goes.

After lounging on the couch watching Because I Said So for the 85th billionth time and then going roller blading, I was desperate for dinner and without enough energy to spend too much time. I nixed any idea that involved some of the meat I have in the freezer because it required defrosting. This left me with cans of Trader Joe's Beef Chili, tuna, or eggs for protein. I decided the chili sounded good.

I also decided I would try the Burdock leaves I picked up at the market. I had no idea what they were or what to do with them but since they looked like Chard I figured that I couldn't go wrong with a stir fry.

Yeah so not so much. Apparently, they are only good to eat if you're a goat. I took a little bite to see what they were like and it left an awful bitter taste in my mouth. Then I figured that they obviously needed a blanching. While I was waiting for the water to boil and dug around and prepped the other ingredients:


Once the water was boiled and the leaves blanched, I coarsely chopped them and begin the meal. I tasted the leaves after everything was added and had been cooked and they were still a mouthful of bitter disgustingness. They were definitley inedible so I picked all of them out and added 2 handfuls of baby spinach.

Here's the final recipe for Veg-tastic Chili:

olive oil for sauteing
1/2 an onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 roma tomatoes
Bunch of cremini mushrooms
1 11 oz can of corn
Bunch of fresh cilantro
Carrots - shredded or sliced into thin strips or rounds
1 can of chili (or beans)
2 big handfuls baby spinach
cheddar cheese, grated (optional)

Add oil, garlic, and onions to a large skillet and put on medium heat. When the onion begins to look translucent, add the mushrooms, cilantro, carrots, spinach, corn, and tomatoes. Once the spinach has wilted a litte, add the can of chili and turn up to medium high heat. When the chili is warm, spoon into bowls and top with grated cheese.

Despite the burdock disaster, the meal turned out quite well.

*Gluten-free: Use gluten-free chili or just use a can of beans and a can of crushed tomatoes
*Low-carb: Use low-carb chili or no beans and extra meat; don't use corn

No comments: