Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Oh Ambercup Squash, how I love thee: Gorgonzola Ravioli with Ambercup Squash and Sage

In our last winter share, we received a squash that looked like a small, bright pumpkin. I turned to my trusty source on types of squash, Squash Glossary, and discovered it was Ambercup Squash.

I did not use my tried and true Acorn Squash method for cutting - boil the squash for 10-20 minutes until the skin is soft and then cutting it is a breeze - but I suspect is would make things a whole lot easier. When I cut the Ambercup, the fragance filled the room - it was sweet and hearty and delicious. Seriously, I have never been so taken with the smell of a squash. I cut it into cubes and then cut off the skin. (Although I missed a few cubes and the end result with the skin on tasted just fine.)

The is recipe is a combination of 2 recipes from the most awesome CSA website, Green Earth Institute Recipes: Winter Squash & Sage Ravioli and Pasta with Winter Squash and Sage.

2 tbsp of olive oil
1 Ambercup Squash (Acorn, Pumpkin, Butternut or Buttercup can also be used) - cut into cubes
1 onion (I used red because that's what I had)
fresh Sage leaves
2 pkg of Trader Joe's Gorgonzola Ravioli (or any frozen cheese ravioli)
1-2 tbsp of butter
1 cup Vegetable Broth
Shredded Parmesan Cheese to your liking
2 tbsp pine nuts (optional)
1-4 tbsp of half and half, milk or cream (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the squash, olive oil, onion, and a couple sage leaves with salt and pepper to taste. Put in a baking dish (I used a 9 x 15 pyrex pan) and roast for 20 minutes. Cook the Ravioli according to the instructions on the package and drain. Melt butter over medium high heat and fry the sage leaves. (I kind of stir-fryed them) until crisp. Remove the sage from the sillet. Reduce the heat to low and add the broth to the skillet. Simmer. Add the ravioli, pine nuts, milk/half & half/cream and squash mixture to the skillet. Garnish wit sage and Parmesan cheese.

Seriously, sometimes I almost think I can cook.

2 comments:

MrsOgg said...

Oh, this sounds so good! Now where do I find ambernut squash...

MrsOgg said...

Haha....of course I meant to say Ambercup! Off to Wegmans...