Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The first really hot day summer salad

On Saturday, we got our second to last Winter CSA share. This was the first year it went on for 6 months and I have to say, I was pretty done with winter food. So I was thrilled to come home to bags and bags of greens! Baby kale, baby spinach, baby swiss chard, mixed greens, and pea shoots, oh my!

I stopped by the the health food store in my neighborhood and grabbed a couple carrots and some sharp cheddar among other things. When I got home, I threw them in the food processor using the grating attachment figuring that I'd have left overs ready to go for salads during the week. Then I threw together this salad ... which, since we had just finished moving a fouton, air conditioner, and tv into our aparment, was the best thing ever. So without further adeux ...

The first really hot day summer salad

Bunch of mixed greens
Big handful of pea shoots
Big handful of grated carrots
Smallish handful of grated cheddar cheese
3 T Olive Oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 T red wine vinegar
1 T mustard
1 clove of garlic, minced

Put the mixed greens, pea shoots, carrots, and cheese on a cutting board and chop away! When everything is in small, bite-sized pieces, throw into a big bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegars, mustard, and garlic together until fully emulsified. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Wa-la!

Bonus: Pinneapple-Black Cherry Spritzer

Black Cherry Juice*
Pinneapple Juice*
Sprite Zero**

Fill the glass about 1/3 with each. Mix. Drink. Delicious

*Any combo of juices or just one type can be used.
** Sparkling water, regular 7-Up or Sprite, or a flavored spritzer (like Whole Foods brand) can be used.

No comments: