Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sweet Potato Quesdaillas

This recipe is from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life and can be found online here.

I altered it a little, partly on purpose and partly by accident ...

2 medium sweet potatoes
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
1 tsp cumin
olive oil for saute
4 tortillas (I used Trader Joes Spinach tortillas)
1/2-1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or "mexican" mix

Cut sweet potatoes into chunks, place in microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 8-10 minutes until soft then mash.

Chop the onion and saute it along with the garlic in a large skillet. Add the spices and sweet potato. Mix. Turn the burner of low.

Preheat the oven to 400. Oil a baking sheet. Spread tortillas one at a time onto the sheet and press into the oil. Spread the sweet potato mixture onto half and top with cheese. Fold the other half of the tortilla over. Repeat with each tortilla. Bake until brown and crisp.

Notes:
  • These were pretty good although I felt like they needed a bit more - I topped them with cream cheese (since I was out of sour cream) and it was quite tasty.
  • I have extra sweet potato mixture left over so I think I will try it with brie as in the original recipe and also with cream cheese on the inside.
  • The original recipe calls for adding shredded swiss chard along with the cheese. I didn't have any but will surely try this if I have chard, kale, or spinach next time.

No comments: